If you don’t know who Emily Tosta is, you’re going to want to familiarize yourself. The actress is on the rise for her best known for roles like Mayans M.C., Rosewood and NCIS: Los Angeles and she’s now taking on her biggest role to date as Lucia Acosta in Freeform’s Party of Five reboot. Read our full interview down below, get to know the star on the rise!
Coat: NastyGal | Top: MadeMe | Pants: MadeMe | Pumps: Gianvito Rossi
1. You were born and raised in the Dominican Republic, what was that like?
It was something that shaped who I am today. I learned so much from my culture, my family and my youth in the DR that I will always carry with me. I am so proud to be Dominican and Venezuelan and I will forever represent my country!
2. Though you’re quite young you’ve been acting for a chunk of your life now. How did you get started in the industry?
I would always force my family to sit in the living room so that I could act out plays and scenes for them haha. But professionally, I started out when I was around 7 years old with musical theater and commercials.
3. You star in the FreeForm series Party of Five. Can you tell us a little about the show and your character Lucia Acosta?
Party of Five is a coming of age story about 5 siblings trying to survive after their parents get deported to Mexico. My character Lucia Acosta is a straight-A student who always plays by the rules but then gets very politically radicalized and her entire perspective about herself and her life changes after this family tragedy.
4. How and when did you land the role? Did you audition for it? Was there something in particular that attracted you to the role?
The audition for Party of Five was around September of 2018. It was a very tedious process with callbacks, mix, and matches, tons of testing sessions. The diversity and representation, the rawness in which the creators are telling the story, the relatable and multi-layered characters, were amongst some of the many things that I loved about the project from the start.
5. Apart from acting, during our photo shoot, you belted out some notes. Girl you can sing! Is that something you’d be interested in the near future?
Haha oh gosh, singing is always an interesting topic for me. I did musical theatre for many years of my life in which I had to sing, dance and act. When I moved to Los Angeles, I was much more focused on the acting side of things so that’s what I truly dedicated myself to. I play piano and guitar in my free time (but just for myself haha). Who knows what can happen in the future though!
6. What do you do in your free time to zone out?
I love reading, writing, working out, spending time with loved ones (my cats are included in loved ones haha), traveling, anything nature related.
7. Do you have a hobby or guilty pleasure people don’t know about?
I guess a lot of people don’t really know that I play the piano and guitar. I’m also obsessed with reading, I have a huge book collection that keeps growing every day.
8. Going back to acting to close things off, do you have any projects lined up for the future?
I have a few things lined up, some I can’t talk about yet but the ones I can; my other
show Mayans MC got picked up for season 3 so I’m super excited about that! And Party Of five premieres January 8th Woohoo!
9. What are you most excited for viewers to see as the series advances?
I’m excited for the viewers to go through the character developments and storylines with us. The way each character deals with our parents being deported is so different and it makes us all grow up very fast and we find parts of ourselves that we didn’t know we had.
10. Lastly, do you have any goals you want to achieve in 2020, professionally or personally?
I’m constantly striving to continue to work harder so I think that’ll always be a goal, to pray more, which is already something I incorporated back into my morning routine so I’m very happy about that and honestly just to always be the best version of myself possible (both personally and professionally) to spread love, kindness and to be a voice for the things I stand for and believe in.
This spread appears in the pages of TB119 Interview with Emily Tosta taken from This Bitch Winter 2020: Brenda Song out now and available to buy here.
This Bitch print exclusive has been produced by
Photographer: Alain Vasallo | @alainvasallo
Fashion Stylist: Jess Maldonado | @thepinkvixxen
Makeup and Hair Stylist: Crystal Gossman | @crystalgossman_
using Mac Cosmetics for makeup and OUAI for hair.